Day 9 - the 21 Day #lightbulb Challenge
Does Twitter warp your sense of time?
Do you find all too often you check in to Linkedin or Facebook only to read a comment, then you click the link and you're on youtube. Then you jump to twitter and reply to the last five mentions, check your followers list and tell people what you have planned for the rest of your day when... oh Sh#*% 2 hours have passed and your boss wanted that report like ages ago...
The Social Media black hole, the vortex that seems to speed up time whenever you login to Twitter gets us all.
So how can you as a business owner or busy professional using social networks manage your time more efficiently to get the same or better results but still meet your deadlines and keep the boss happy?
- Use Hootsuite or another app to schedule updates and blog retweets to capture different timezones
- Use Hootsuite to manage all your social networks from one interface. Twitter, Facebook, Wordpress, Linkedin, FB pages, Ping FM etc
- Understand what your objectives are and what you want to achieve with SM and focus on that.
Schedule your time
- allocate 30 min to blog reading and comments each day
- twice a day spend 30 min replying to mentions and new followers
- every hour check for urgent comment updates to reply to 10 min only!
- If you have downtime, get chatting
- twice a week spend 30 min on Linkedin
- Duplicate suitable posts on twitter and facebook or slightly modify for facebook, its easier with hootsuite
- Turn off the visual notification alerts
- Turn of mobile phone alerts
- Tell people you are signing off for a while
- Use RSS feeds to post industry or other related content automatically
- Have a plan and stick to it
How else do you manage your social media time? Have any other tips to share with us?